DID YOU KNOW ...
- One person produces about one tonne of waste per year in North America;
- In more developed countries, about 40% of waste content is organic;
- In less developed countries, about 70% of waste content is organic;
- Organic waste provides about 10% of the world’s Greenhouse Gases (GHG) through the creation of methane (CH4); and
- Methane is a 21 times more powerful at warming the atmosphere than Carbon Dioxide (CO2).
WHY LANDFILL DIVERSION IS NECESSARY
The diversion of organic waste from landfills is necessary to:
- avoid the creation of methane - a potent greenhouse gas;
- harness the energy content of the waste;
- preserve natural resources;
- increase the life of existing landfills;
- protect soil and groundwater from contamination; and
- reduce the cost of waste management.